Monday, October 6, 2008

Baseball Playoffs, Amsterdam Time

Photo by my father

Every so often, my perfect baseball planning backfires on me horrendously.

Sort of like it did last night.

I went to bed at 9, so I could get up at 1.30, watch the game, and go back to bed around 5 for another 2-3 hours of sleep before school and work. I wasn't going to miss Game 3, and the Red Sox advancing, and all of that good stuff.

So I did just that.

Silly Gracie. She knows better, really she does. She knows that Red Sox playoff games so rarely last the traditional 3 hours of regular season games.

The game finished at about 7 a.m. my time, so I showered, got my stuff together, and at 8 headed out for a cup of coffee before class.

At 8.40, some acquaintances came in, and we shared our stories about mid-term week. Marty, a Canadian, did not seem as surprised as his two German friends when I said I had been up since 1.30. "I know, I do that sometimes for hockey, when you gotta get up at 2 or 3 for a game... it's tough."

I have found a like soul.

But then I remembered, hockey. What's the time limit for that?

I couldn't resist pointing out how rarely a hockey game ends up lasting more than five hours.

Not that I would change what I did. I mean, it would have been better if the Sox had won and I wouldn't have to figure out how to do the same thing tomorrow, with a midterm thrown into the mix. But it was a great game. Sox got robbed in some places, blew it in others, and Josh Beckett wasn't at the top of his game. But he wasn't at his worst either, Jacoby made more playoff history, and we weren't as defeatist as we could have been.

Here's hoping tomorrow goes better - for both me, and the Red Sox.

3 comments:

Iain said...

I have found a like soul.

I've given up trying to find one, because almost every time I tell people what I do to watch baseball games, I end up getting that "You have no life" look...;-)

Giovanna said...

We feel your pain. It wasn't nearly as bad here, on Pacific time--I mean, it finished before 11 PM. But 5 hours and 19 minutes is 5 hours and 19 minutes. It's a huge commitment--we should all get extra credit for being so good about honoring our commitments.

Here's hoping tonight's game is a quick and decisive one!

P.S. What's that picture of or about?

Grace said...

It is a person at a conference somewhere in Asia sleeping on his desk.

Which is what I wanted to do in class this morning, but is unfortunately impossible when only 7 students are present.