Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Multi-Culti Party

It's a little redundant to say it again, but: Tonight was the multi-culti party.

I wasn't really feeling it at first, but after spending 7.50 on costume stuff (just jewelry that I can and will use again), I really didn't want to back out. Plus, in the back of my head, I kept thinking, "This is your last RA party..." Of course, there will be the Graduation Gala, and the end of semester party, but most people will be gone for those. It will just be the graduating class.

I went as a Native American. The evening started at a friend's house, where we all got dressed, and did over-the-top, night-put makeup, and listened to bad music, talked and joked. My friends went in much more authentic get-ups - the Kenyan Maasai tribe, Indian saris and children's clothes actually acquired in India, etc. I felt very un-PC.

The party took place at Schutterschof, which we lovingly (not) refer to as Schutters. This was the first RA party I had been to since August (excluding the Christmas Gala, which took place in Vlissingen), and I was surprised at how different it all was. Granted, the last party had a very different atmosphere. It was in the introduction week, before the semester had begun, with a theme of "Anything But Clothes". My sister was visiting, and we had spent the day shopping for costumes (we went with clothing hampers that looked like animals) and having coffee with my friends. It was summer, and warm, and somehow that really supports the party atmosphere.

Now it's April, there's barely a month left in the semester, and people are stressed. There were very few people from our year in attendance, and I soon found myself reminiscing about my first year, and my introduction week. The party was themed, "Pimp My Style". none of my new friends knew what that meant, or what we were supposed to wear, so I went with a sequin and velour black top and my favorite kitten heels. This was back when I was good friends with people like G and S and A, who has since left RA and now studies in Florida.

Very different times.

I turned around to order a beer and suddenly... there he was. A! Standing at the bar, with two other friends who used to be closer but I don't spend as much time with them anymore. He's good, and graduates in November, and it was very nice to see him again - although of course very different from the old days.

I met an exchange student from Iowa who was wearing a Red Sox hat. Our facebook friendship is now pending.

All in all, a great last party at RA.

Oh, the memories. These last months might just kill me.

No comments: