Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Norway in Brief

Here's a quick look at some of the things I've done so far in Norway:

-Skied across frozen Lake Sognsvaten
-Drank tea and coffee out of a wide array of Finn Family Moomintroll mugs (including the one that I also have at home in Portland!)
-Visited the Vigeland Sculpture Park and seen all the great sculptures
-Had some very good coffee
-Eaten some delicious rosinbolle - a lot like the Dutch rozijnbol but translated to Scandinavian with the genius addition of cardamom
-Also eaten some really good cookies (oatmeal raisin, as it was meant to be, and chocolate chip with nuts, which you never see in the Netherlands)
-Visited the National Gallery, where I saw the Munchs and found two new artists to enjoy
-and last but not least, caught up with two very dear friends!

4 comments:

Charles Shere said...

There's a big church about halfway up a main street that runs uphill from the shore; there we heard a wonderful concert many years ago. Outside a drunk was playing a violin; the best violin-playing I've ever heard.
There's a marvelous museum of folk stuff including outdoors things -- cabins and the like.
There's an unforgettable museum featuring a Viking canoe.
Don't eat any ancient goat cheese.

lshere said...

You are one busy girl-enjoy it, it's beautiful and I envy your seeing it in winter. It must be very different from high summer when we were there.

Thérèse said...

OK, I'm jealous. Especially of the frozen-lake ski jaunt (hopefully followed by a cozy coffee.)

Grace said...

Thanks for the tips. I haven't walked around too much because when my friends are working I unfortunately have to use the time to study... sigh. So don't be ~too~ jealous! But this place is beautiful! I'm very glad I am here in winter rather than summer.

Grandpere, I am so disappointed in you. Don't taste the brown goat cheese? Really? Shouldn't I always try the local specialty??