Thursday, January 14, 2010

Resolutions


Oops. Has it already been about half a month since I posted? I meant to post even more this year than last year! I did a pretty good job blogging in 2009, I think - at least one entry per month except August! Which is generally considered to be a month of vacation, so I am cutting myself some slack.

This year I was toying with the idea of resolving to post at least once a week. That died fast. But I suppose I could always start a little late!

So, now that I am here... Happy New Year, and all that jazz. I am back in Leiden, but have been here just one week, and tomorrow I am leaving again - to Norway! This is especially great because now my total countries visited number is the same as my brothers - we are in constant competition about this. (I wonder if I can sneak in a side trip across the border to Sweden? Just to get one country ahead of him?)

I'm also dreaming of, and vaguely planning, trips to Caserta (near Naples) to visit someone who I probably shouldn't be visiting but can't really resist the opportunity, and Oxford to see another friend.

I mean, hey. You only live once. And I will only live in Europe for a little longer. (Probably.)

But I thought I would update you all not on the general ramblings of my hectic mind (oops. too late) but, instead, on the other resolution I have been toying with.

That would be, to read all of the books I have here in Leiden before I leave.

Now, at this point, I have a return ticket to the US on March 30th. I'm still not sure if it will work for me to go; it depends on some school-related things (specifically my thesis). But if I want to read all of my books before then...

Well, let's see. I own 27 books that are in English that I have not read and that I do not intend to take back to the United States with me. (Oscar Wilde's Complete Short Fiction, which was a birthday gift from my friend Dilyana on our trip to Dublin, I would like to keep. Same goes to the lovely old copy of Little Men that I bought at a stall on the Seine last month.) I'm also not counting foreign language books because most of them I want to keep, as in bring back to the US - even with Powell's, it's hard to get good Dutch books in Portland! I know, I've looked! And I searched far and wide for Guy de Maupassant's Clair de Lune before finally buying it in Paris. Since I don't want to part with those I think I can exclude them from my best-read-by March 30 list.

So. 27 books. And today is January 14th, which means I have 84 days (right? anyone want to check my math?) to read them all. That comes to, more or less, one book every three days, with another four spare days that I can devote to... sightseeing in Norway or Italy, studying for my second semester courses, or the longer books on my shelf: Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude (a meager 417 pages), Trollope's Phineas Finn (651 pages), and Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamazov (906 pages). I might even give myself a full week for the Dostoyevsky - that's still over 100 pages per day. Oh, and I could probably save one of those books for the flight home.

Yes, I definitely have my work cut out for me.

8 comments:

Giovanna said...

Sounds like a lot of reading--hope it doesn't get in the way of you posting once a week! Oh--and one other request--a photo of home in Leiden, in your sidebar...(before it's not home anymore).

Charles Shere said...

Anch'io voglio una photo della casa a Leiden. Ma perchè quest'idea stupido da leggere I Fratelli K? Miglior leggere Delitto e Castigo: più corto, e più rilevanti. Ma ho un gran rispetto per i tuoi progetti!

Charles Shere said...

Oh: e in generale e miglior leggere romanzi russi in francese di inglese, penso…

Grace said...

Well, the problems with posting a picture of home in Leiden:
1) I don't have a good one - my room is not very picturesque and the outside is hard to photograph (it's in a narrow alley).
2) It doesn't really feel like home! But I will try to find a decent picture to post sometime.

Grandpere (I am proud to say I understood everything you wrote, but I am not so good as to be able to write Italian!) - a friend left the Brothers Karamazov with me, so I have it. That's why I would read it. I might leave that one for last ;) Why should Russian books be read in French? Are the languages more... similar, or the translations better, or...?

Severin Wrights said...

That's a lot of reading. Good luck! I've been slacking off lately. It's hard when there are so many things more fun to do than sitting down and read! My blog is suffering incredibly.

Grace said...

I know what you mean, Savira. My mom said, "Maybe you should stop watching Monk, then I bet you could do it" and I realized she was right. Plus reading is actually way more relaxing than TV.

I'm sure, however, that you have more of a life than I do and your alternatives to reading reach far beyond television. But if your blog's about books... you will definitely have a hard time finding blogging topics... ;)

lshere said...

That sounds just the teeniest bit ambitious.

Unknown said...

Hello Grace - This is Katie, not Meg (Meg's the one with a gmail account). I read your post on reading and it brought to mind a charming little book about reading -- Alan Bennett's The Uncommon Reader. You might enjoy it. Best regards - Katie