Saturday, September 27, 2008

Tilburg Tour of Portland

Over a week ago, I went to Tilburg for a day to go on the Tilburg Tour of Portland, a tour of Portland that actually takes place in Tilburg, the Netherlands.

I thought the best way to show you all the experience would be by posting several pictures with captions, but I'll leave a few comments at the bottom as well.


On the banks of the Willamette River, you can see the Burnside Bridge down thataways.


Saturday Market


Food Cart Row




The Big Pink of Tilburg, and Broadway... rather different than the Portland versions!










The Benson fountains, Tilburg-style


Here are all the strip clubs! That's Mary's on the right!









Burnside


Probably my favorite Portland place: Powell's City of Books!


This is the Virginia Cafe, in its new location


The Fox building, which definitely has some similar qualities


If I told you this was really Pioneer Place, you might believe me. But it isn't, not really!


Our guide shows off the watermark from Portland floods

A few remarks:
It was definitely a fun tour. I was the only American on the trip, and the only person who had ever been to Portland, besides the guide. It was a lot of fun, though. HE thought he even remembered seeing my parents/grandparents on the Portland Tour of Tilburg. "I remember some people saying, 'oh, yeah, we should tell her to go...' but I assumed that wouldn't happen," he said.

I was pretty surprised to see how similar the two cities were. Even though there were some drastic differences, it was interesting to see how you could pick out the similarities. Once or twice, I didn't know what building he was talking about, but it definitely looked like a building you might see in Portland. And I loved the trash can as a water fountain and all of the bikes parked at the central station as the zoobomb bike pile by Powell's.

After the tour, which I can really only say was fun and interesting and a little bit surreal, I was interviewed by a couple of people who were excited to find out that I was a real true Portlander. This is one of the articles - in Dutch, though, sorry!

When the group broke up, I stopped for coffee at a place thrillingly similar to a Portland cafe. Order at the counter, have a chocolate muffin, spread out at a table, read and write a bit... they even had a couch. I think that is the first time I have seen a couch in a cafe in the Netherlands.

I went back to Middelburg just a little sad to go back to reality - wishing we had a cafe like that one where I could study, missing some parts of Portland, and thinking about a good wander through Powell's. But also, the tour made me pretty happy to be here in the Netherlands right now. I was even nicely resigned to traveling alone - because the truth is, no matter how much complain, I am a bit selfish and it's always nice to be able to do exactly what I want, no compromises.

2 comments:

Giovanna said...

I'm glad you made it...how perfect for you. Did you get to the museum of written word as well? I'm curious to hear about it.

And where's the picture from the cafe????

never satisfied...

Grace said...

Yes, afraid no picture from the cafe... it wasn't THAT nice. I didn't make it to the museum, unfortunately, though I bought some postcards at the gift shop.