Monday, March 23, 2009

Back to School, Take Two


Spring break ended this morning, and with it ended the beautiful springtime weather.

Yes, gone are the days of sun, friends, and leisure, like Saturday's walk on the Vlissingen boardwalk with friends, after a three-course meal, courtesy of Eva. It's back to work at RA, and all of the unpleasantness that is a semester of subjects that are unrelated to your major.

As a nice transition back into the semester, I let myself sleep in this morning, waking up hazily after a funny dream (touring New York with my mother, then stopping at a chocolate place before heading to Paris, despite my worrying about missing yet another literature class). I might want to allow myself such special treatment every Monday morning for the rest of the semester.

The thing I really have to focus on is being done with homework by 8 pm. It is absolutely doable, and if I'm stuck working long after 8 it makes me miserable. I've been pretty good at that this semester, so the task now is to just keep that going.

One year ago today, I was in Dublin, enjoying above-average caffe lattes, savoring the big-city atmosphere, soaking up rich literary history and Irish stew. That was a good trip. I'll be thinking of that for the next few days as I make it through what is essentially a second week of midterms.

Only seven weeks until I'm done with school and nine until graduation.

No comments: