Thursday, March 19, 2009

Lente is Leuk

Last week, someone put a sign in a window I pass on my way to school every day:

Yes, spring is nice, and fun, and pretty, and all of those things that the Dutch word "leuk" stands for. And it's coming.

Appropriately, the beginning of this week of spring break began with the first two back-to-back days of spring. The temperature has been a bit warmer, and combined with all of that sun, it feels nearly summery.

Of course, it's still chilly out, and sometimes you need a winter coat - but the sun is always there. I'm looking out for a blossoming tree that I can tie my red and white spring bracelet to, as per the Bulgarian tradition of Martenitza. And if I can find a sunny bench, out of the wind, it's almost like last summer when I sat by the canals and read.

The downside to this jittery springtime bug is that it is impossible to get any work done. Yes, it is vacation, but it feels like summer. Sunday I went for a run with a friend and then we sat in her room and watched really, really bad TV all day, ignoring the looming papers and exams that some teachers had not been nice enough to assign before the break.

But for now it feels like summer, so we are living for the moment. Or procrastinating - whichever way you prefer to see it.

1 comment:

Giovanna said...

I'd definitely go with living for the moment. You're young! It's spring break! In a couple weeks you'll be totally swamped!

So live for the moment. Just for a few moments.