Sunday, March 8, 2009

Saturday



It's very unoriginal, but I can't help loving Saturdays. It's an escape from the week, and anything else; you have no obligations, and you can kid yourself that it's okay not to do any homework for just one day.

Yesterday was a particularly good one, beginning as it did with a baseball game - my first baseball game of 2009! When I got up, I saw that Korea was playing Japan, so I watched a good 4 innings and rooted for Japan. (Who won, and not in a small way.)

Then I walked to the library with a housemate/friend to pick up books for my French presentation (the library is closed on Sunday and Monday, so you can't completely neglect schoolwork on Saturday.) He went to the grocery store afterward, but I went to the town center to get bread and some vegetables at market for dinner, a green bean and mushroom dish out of Madhur Jaffrey's Quick and Easy Indian Cooking.

Once back home, I asked a friend of mine if she wanted to join me for dinner and the baseball game between the Netherlands and the Dominican Republic. She's traveled in India, is Dutch, and I'm attempting to make a baseball fan out of her, so she was the perfect candidate. (Also simply because she is a nice person who is curious and interested in a lot of things - necessary when looking for someone to watch the game with in a country like the Netherlands!) She accepted, but wanted to be back home by 8.15 to watch speed-skating.

Of course, later I still had to run to the grocery store to pick up rice, but I took my camera and finally got around to filming a bike ride through Middelburg - something I've been meaning to do for a long time now.

At 6.15 I started cooking, at 6.45 the kitchen smelled really nice, and at 6.55 my friend arrived. We dished the vegetables out over rice and went to my room, where we settled in on the couch and I logged on to watch the game.

That's when I realized, with shock, that in my extreme excitement for the matchup, I had miscalculated the time, and we had missed the first two hours of the game.

On the other hand, the Netherlands were winning 3-2 - shocking! - Pedro Martinez, my favorite baseball player of all time, was pitching the middle innings for the DR, and Anne would get to see the final innings instead of only the beginners.

Pedro pitched very well, and the Dutch fielding was impressive. The score remained the same, though not without some drama, and the Dutch catcher finally revealed his secret weapon: an arm like a canon, which he loaded on an unsuspecting Willy Taveras on his way to third base in the bottom of the 9th.

And just like that, the Netherlands upset the Dominican Republic. What can I say, except "unbelievable"?

The food was good, the game was good, life was good. Afterwards, I skyped an old friend in the Dominican who I hadn't talked to in a year or two, and caught up on the people and places I knew. It sounds like when I finally make it back to La Isleta, it may look very different.

Later still, a skype with my brother and sister in Portland, and then I slipped into bed, very late. Yes, the perfect Saturday.

Too bad I had to pay for it today.

3 comments:

Charles Shere said...

Ouao -- how did you make that video? What kind of camera? How did you avoid cracking up? It made me thing two things right away, and simultaneously: 1) How beautiful the Dutch canals are and how much I wish I were there; 2) Claude Lelouche's wonderful movie driving completely across Paris in only nine minutes (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/581099/a_white_knuckle_car_ride_through_paris_part1_of_2/)

Kingtoi Ho said...

This video made me unbelievably home sick. I really miss Middelburg, but am glad you put it up, as its a journey we all made often enough :D

thanks Grace,
King

Grace said...

King -
You graduates keep telling me things like this and it's so worrying! two years of not being able to WAIT to get out of Middelburg, and now the mere idea is saddening. Anyway, the most I can do is take advantage of the last couple months, so that's what I'm doing. I'm glad you can get something out of it too.